QM-FORMa is a network of world leading experts who can design new materials, using first principles Quantum Mechanics calculations. We are funded by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) Raw Materials.
Using Quantum Mechanics to design materials is a new approach. In practice there is little research into producing new materials because it requires costly, time consuming lab work. Now computers have the capacity to perform sophisticated quantum mechanics calculations – and so can design new materials that are tailored to specific needs.
The potential impact of QM-FORMa’s services is faster innovation rates and better products. Companies can gain a competitive edge finding substitute materials, e.g. copper in brake pads or cobalt in cutting tools.
Therefore, all companies need to act in order to:
- avoid the risk of being blocked out of markets by competitors who have patents;
- provide products that have lower health risks;
- increase the sustainability rating of their supply chains;
- ensure access to (critical) raw materials.
Material design services are needed by both SMEs and companies. Our experience is that even companies with a large, highly qualified R&D force, often lack the capacity to define the problem as well as set up and perform the calculations.
We aim to work with potential clients, and promotional activities within the EIT RawMaterials consortium, so that:
1. Companies know about the net of infrastructure and can gain access to the services.
2. Companies gain an insight into the value that this service can provide in new product development.